Barbara Fitzgerald is an AKC Breeder of Merit and author of the column "Conversations with Champions" for the BCSA magazine, Borderlines.
This article explores over 100 unique names for silver, gray, blue, and merle dogs. These names are inspired by the arts, mythology, and history. This article also explores names for dogs with blue or gray eyes.
Dog Names That Mean Gray
- Ash or Ashley: The charcoal remains of a fire
- Brand: A mark or to burn in insignia
- Cinder: Residue of combustion
- Coal: Glowing, burned, or charred wood
- Coke: Used to distill metal oxides into metals. Cokie is a cute name for a gray female dog.
- Dove: Pale shade of gray.
- Dusky: Shadowy.
- Ember: Glowing combustible.
- Fade: To lose brightness or vividness, Kanye West tune.
- Foggy: Vague, bewildered, misty
- Fuzzy: Hazy, blurry, or furry
- Gandalf: For much of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the wizard is known as Gandalf the Grey
- Grigio: Italian for "gray."
- Gris: French for "gray."
- Grizzly: Silvery.
- Haiiro: Japanese pronunciation of "gray."
- Haze or Hazel: Mist
- Luster: Gentle sheen or soft glow.
- Murk: Dimly lit, heavily clouded.
- Myst: Ancient spelling of mist
- Reardon: Hank Reardon, protagonist of Atlas Shrugged, invents a new form of steel that is blue-green and far superior to stainless steel in strength
- Slate: Gray shale.
- Smazy: Foggy.
- Smokey: Having the qualities of smoke.
- Soupy: Foggy, and first name of comedian, Soupy Sales.
- Stoke or Stoker: To tend to a fire
- Sully: To stain or tarnish
Ghostly Names for Silver or Gray Dogs
- Banshee: A female apparition and harbinger of death. The banshee wails or screeches in the night to foretell of a family member's imminent demise. Also, an alternative band of note, Siouxsie and the Banshees.
- Casper: The friendly ghost.
- Mogwai: Chinese ghost that seeks to harm human beings.
- Moroi: Romanian vampire or ghost.
- Phantom: An apparition or trick of the imagination. 1940s radio show, The Phantom, opened with the tagline, "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Phantom knows."
- Shade: A ghost or being of the underworld. Also, to "throw shade" is to subtly display contempt.
- Shadow: Specter of a ghost.
- Shroud: Pall, mask or mantle.
- Specter: A terrifying apparition or ghost. It is also inspired by Phil Spector, record producer and sound engineer who developed the Wall of Sound, which he described as Wagnerian. Spector is considered to have been one of the most influential recording artists of the later half of the twentieth century, having engendered the idea of the studio as an instrument unto itself.
- Umbra: Phantom or shadowy image
- Vapor: Cloudy or nebulous image.
- Wraith: The ghost of a once living person. The Ringwraiths from The Lord of The Rings scour the Earth in search of the one Ring.
Dog Names That Mean Blue
- Agate: Blue agate stones are believed to have great healing abilities.
- Azure: Sky Blue; the color of the Blue Grotto at midday.
- Beryl: A green or blue mineral used in magic for its healing properties.
- Blueberry: Blue fruit.
- Cadet: Shade of blue.
- Cobalt: Blue associated with the evil eye and protection.
- Harriman: Shade of blue.
- Lapis: Lapis Lazuli, blue gem stone.
- Man Ray: Named for the black and white photographer, Man Ray who was William Wegman's breakthrough subject. Photographs of Man Ray and his other housemates catapulted Wegman to fame.
- Sapphire: Name your girl Sapphire, and you can call her Fire for short.
- Teal: A deep-green blue and a girl's name.
- Navy: Dark shade of blue.
- Periwinkle: Blue flower.
- Powder: Shade of blue.
- Royal: Shade of blue.
- Union: Shade of blue for Civil War uniforms.
- Yale: A deep shade of blue associated with Yale's colors.
- Wegman: Photographer who focuses on dressing his Weimaraners in human clothing and then placing them in whimsical situations.
Blue Dog Names From Blues Artists
- Bailey: Pearl Bailey
- B.B: B.B. King
- Billie: Billie Holiday a.k.a Lady Day
- Bland: Bobby Bland
- Buddy: Buddy Guy
- Diddley: Bo Diddley
- Ella: Ella Fitzgerald
- Etta: Etta James
- Hooker: John Lee Hooker
- Joplin: Janis Joplin and Scott Joplin (Ragtime composer)
- Keb' Mo': Kevin Moore
- Lead Belly: Blues and folk musician
- Memphis: Memphis Minnie
- Muddy: Muddy Waters
- Rainey: Ma Rainey
- Sippie: Sippie Wallace
- Steely: Steely Dan
- T-Bone: T-Bone Walker
- Winter: Johnny Winter
Tough Blue Pitbull Names
- Ajax: Greek hero of the Trojan War; Ajax was the only hero to not suffer a debilitating injury during the war. Ajax is also the blue cleanser billed as "stronger than dirt."
- Blade: The cutting piece of a sword or a knife.
- Bullet: Only the silver bullet will stop a werewolf.
- Buster: Canine actor who co-stars with Keanu Reeves in the second John Wick film.
- Cutlass: A slashing sword, the cutlass was popular in the age of sail as its relatively short length was preferred in the close combat required when boarding ships. The names is also inspired by America's most popular muscle car of the 1960s the Oldsmobile Cutlass, which boasted affordable luxury.
- Glasebach: The Glasebach Pit in Germany is now a museum. The silver mine dates back to the 1400s.
- Greystoke: Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, has a noble birthright, Viscounte of Greystoke. Raised by a congress of apes, Lord Greystoke returns to his noble beginnings, only to reject civilization and return to the jungle as an adventurer.
- Han: Blue pigment in Chinese imperial pottery. Also the name of Star Wars hero, Han Solo.
- Ice or Icy: Arctic blue ice occurs when snowfall is compacted into ice causing it to refract bright blue hues.
- Ryder: The toughest of the blue jeans made by Lee jeans.
- Saber: Heavy one-edged sword favored by cavalry.
- Samson: The Samson Pit in Germany was one of the deepest silver mines in its working day in 1922.
- Shank: A short, sharp metal object used for jabbing or slashing.
- Spike: Tough metal projection on a weapon or athletic shoe.
Blue-Eyed Dog Names
To find more names for dogs with blue eyes, check out "50 Unique Names for Dogs With Blue Eyes."
Names for Silver Dogs
- Ansel: Inspired by Ansel Adams, a famous black and white photographer that chronicled the West.
- Argent: French meaning "silver."
- Bijou: A jewel or exquisitely wrought jewelry.
- Bullet: The silver of a cold bullet
- Gin: Japanese for "silver."
- Gleam: Dim or subdued light; a light that pierces the darkness.
- Glimmer: Gleam, faint twinkle, or glint of light.
- Glitter: To sparkle and shine.
- Kesef: Hebrew meaning "silver."
- Mint: Place where coins and currency are produced.
- Nickel: Metal alloy with a silvery sheen.
- Plata: Spanish meaning "silver."
- Scratch: Slang for money or coinage.
- Silber: German meaning "silver."
- Sheen: Luster; gleaming attire.
- Shimmer: Tremulous light or gleam; to quaver as with heat waves.
- Shine: To glow brightly.
- Steel: Of or pertaining to the metal alloy.
- Sterling: Silver category; only the finest as in a "sterling reputation."
- Tinsel: Silvery Christmas decoration.
- Wisp: Thin streak of smoke.
Blue Merle Dog Names
Lunar-Inspired Names for Silvery Dogs From Mythology
The moon has an interesting effect on objects after the sun goes down. Her rays strip color from even the bright greens and turn the world into a silvery scape. These names are inspired by the gods and goddesses of the moon and night.
- Anumati: Hindu deity of the moon. Her name means "divine favor."
- Artemis: Greek goddess of hunting and associated with the moon. A lovely name for a female Weimaraner.
- Bendis: Goddess of hunt and the moon in Thracian mythology.
- Elatha: Irish god of the moon.
- Jarilo: Slavic god associated with the moon, springtime, and fertility. A mischievous god, he has the ability of shapeshifting.
- Kaskuh: Moon god in Hittite mythology.
- Luna: Roman goddess of the moon; Selene is her Greek counterpart.
- Meness: Moon god from Latvian mythology.
- Moon: Blue moon.
- Napir: Moon god in Elamite mythology.
- Nyx: Greek goddess of the night.
- Polaris: North Star
- Rathi: Indonesian goddess of the moon.
- Selene: Greek goddess of the moon.
- Stellar: Star.
- Trivia: Roman goddess who haunted graveyards and crossroads and is also known as "the Queen of the Ghosts." Her approach is told by the barking of dogs, although they are the only ones able to see her.
- Wu Gang: This is a Chinese myth about a tale of divine punishment. Wu Gang is the Chinese version of Sisyphus and is depicted as endlessly cutting down the self-healing osmanthus tree on the moon. Today his name is associated with any endless toil. Other pronunciations include Wu Kang and Wu Zhi.
Famous Silver Mines and Towns, Plus Silver Rush-Inspired Names
- Chico: Norte Chico was a famous silver rush in Chili in the 1830s-1840s.
- Comstock: The Comstock Lode silver rush spanned Virginia City and Gold Hill, Nevada in 1859.
- Hecla: Hecla Mining Company is one of America's oldest mining companies. They own some of Canada and the USA's best-producing silver and gold mines.
- Kaslo: British Columbian silver rush of 1889.
- Keeley: The Keeley is part of the Keeley-Frontier Mines of Silver Centre in Northeastern Ontario. Started in 1907, the Keeley and Frontier closed in 1965 having produced 19,000,000 ounces of silver.
- Nasa: The Nasa mine is located on Nasa Mountain in Lappland, between Sweden and Norway. This old mine was mainly worked in the 1600s.
- Pitarilla: The Pitarilla Mexican silver mine is ranked as the fourth largest in the world.
- Potosi: Located in the Bolivian tin belt, the Potosi mine is believed to be the largest silver deposit in the world. It has been mined since the sixteenth century, producing over 60,000 tons of ore. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are believed to have met their demise after robbing this silver mine.
- Slocan: Known as Silvery Slocan, this British Columbian silver rush apexed in 1892.
- Telluride: Telluride Colorado has one of the world's ten largest silver mines. Name your blue dog Telluride, and you can call him Telly, like tough cop Kojak actor, Telly Savalas.
Names for Male Dogs With Gray Eyes
In film and literature, the gray-eye trope frequently centers around one of these three themes:
- Grey eyes represent the seer or blind prophet.
- Grey eyes and golden hair are described as the ultimate expression of physical beauty.
- Greys eyes denote the expression of granite strength of character or a cold detachment from humanity, as in "ideas above humanity."
These names for male dogs come to us from main characters in literature and film who posses gray eyes demonstrating one of the characteristics above.
- Arthur: King Arthur is said to have had gray eyes, and it becomes a trait of his line.
- Bourne: Jason Bourne of the Bourne Identity possess gray eyes. Much commentary is made about them by a doctor, who tells him the shade of his eyes will vary according to the color of clothing he wears and his surroundings.
- Cathoris: In Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars, the character Cathoris has gray eyes that are indicative of his unearthly origins.
- Draco and Lucius Malfoy: The Malfoys of Harry Potter, Draco and father Lucius, have grey eyes that indicate cold and evil.
- Gable: Anne of Green Gables is a resolute character described with gray eyes. She passes this trait on to one of her sons, whose dark hair and gray eyes are remarkable for their beautiful contrast.
- Seven: Much comment is made about the gray eyes of the seventh Dr. Who.
- Sherlock: Both Sherlock Holmes and his brother, Mycroft, have gray eyes, although Mycroft's are a watery gray.
- Sirius and Regulus: The Black brothers, Sirius Black and Regulus Black, of Harry Potter share the gray eye trait.
- Stannis: In Game of Thrones, Stannis Baratheon possesses cold gray eyes.
- Tadzio: In Death in Venice, the stunning 14-year-old Tadzio is described as having "twilit gray eyes."
Names for Female Dogs With Gray Eyes
- Athena: Athena is the Greek goddess of wisdom and war and patroness of the arts. She has gray eyes.
- Belle: Beauty and the Beast heroine, Belle, has gray eyes to express her firmness in not bending to the Beast's wishes until he improves his behavior and character.
- Callista-Ming: Character from Star Wars Expanded Universe, Callista Ming has gray eyes.
- Gal Gadot: Actress, who plays Wonder Woman, whose eyes turn from blue to gray when Athena restores her sight.
- Gothel: Rapunzel's "mother" who steals her from her parent's castle and raises Rapunzel as her own. She has gray eyes that denote coldness.
- Imogene: Imogene Herondale of City of Ashes has unapproachable, strong gray eyes.
- Ivy: Ivy Carson in The Changeling has dark gray eyes close to smokey black.
- Jordan: Girlfriend of the narrator Nick in The Great Gatsby, Jordan Baker has gray eyes to compliment her cool character that lives above the morals that confine most of humanity.
- Katie: Katie Welker, title character of The Girl With the Silver Eyes, has kinetic abilities.
- Katniss: Hunger Games heroine and skilled archer who has steely gray eyes that indicate her singular survival skills.
- Lolita: Child femme fatale, Lolita, title character of Nabokov's book, Lolita, has gray eyes.
- March: Josephine or Jo March, in Little Women, has an independent streak and grays eyes to match her strength of character.
- Pallas: Friend of Athena's whom she accidentally slew; Athena honors her by adding Pallas' name to her own as Pallas Athena.
More Dog Name Ideas!
- Sporty Pet Names: Dog Names After Basketball Players
A full list of meaningful basketball-inspired names for both male and female dogs, including players and coaches from all NBA eras along with their amazing career highlights.
- 20 Mythical Irish and Scottish Names for Male Dogs
Looking for an unusual name for your new male dog? Celtic history and legend provide a rich pantheon of untapped dog names.
- 60 Tough Irish and Celtic Dog Names
Find 60 unique and meaningful Irish names for male dogs from legend, history, and the lyrical Gaelic language.
- 50 Dog Names for Beer Lovers
Over one hundred beer-related names for dogs both male and female. Find a bubbly name that best suits your
RAjasekhara Mohanrao on August 31, 2020:
Hi pet helpful I am gonna have a Cavalier King Charles named Victoria
If you are making cav topics don’t forget to put my little girl's name in it we are so happy for free comments
Thank you !
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on July 27, 2020:
Hi Eleanor: Thank you for visiting. A charcoal lab puppy sounds unusual. You might find some great idea names here on this article for puppy dogs with dark fur/dogs/Names-for-Black-Puppie...
Eleanor on July 27, 2020:
Im getting a female charcoal lab puppy in a few weeks, any name ideas?
berri on July 18, 2020:
blue staffy puppy, six weeks old. getting it in abt 2 months. trying to get a female, but may be a male. can some one pls help with some ideas?
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on June 26, 2020:
Thanks for visiting. Here is a plethora of name ideas for charcoal dogs./dogs/Names-for-Black-Puppie... You might also want to check out the Male Greek Gods Names for Dogs article here/dogs/16-Greek-Names-That-Ma...
Michelle on June 25, 2020:
Any Ideas for a female charcoal lab?
Yeet on April 07, 2020:
Hello looking for blue merles names female
Eden on December 27, 2019:
any names for a silver lab with blue eyes?
Breanna on December 15, 2019:
Any names for a male blue Merle
hilala on August 07, 2019:
Jojo on May 27, 2019:
Hey guys what would be a cute name for a grey blue eyed pitbull puppy
Orabelle on February 06, 2019:
I am fixing a mistake. For the name "Gris" you put it is French for "gray," but it is ALSO Spanish for "gray" so you could put both.
Ezzy on December 28, 2018:
What about a blue kelpie?
travvo on November 14, 2018:
does chico kujo sound like a good name to my rednose mixed with bluenose
Veronica on November 06, 2018:
Any name ideas for a Weimaraner grey female puppy??
Bill Swayy on October 15, 2018:
A great name is pankackes
Denim on August 21, 2018:
What do you guys think for a blue eyed pit
PattiCakes on June 07, 2018:
Ema, for a black and white dog, how about Oreo?
Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on May 31, 2018:
Hi Ema: Rayne is a great name for a gray dog! I also like the spelling Reign for a dog name too.
Ema on May 31, 2018:
Another name could be Rain, RainDrop, or Rayne. I have a black and white puppy that I Got yesterday, 6 week old. Her possible name could be one of these
Dog Names That Mean Blue
In this list we’ve included not only shades of blue, but also how to say blue in a few different languages.
You might like the straightforwardness of a name like Aqua, but it can also be fun to pick something a little more mysterious, especially when it comes to the reactions of friends and family.
Imagine them thinking you’ve picked some unusual, abstract name only to learn that it just means blue!
- Aoi (Japanese)
- Azul (Spanish)
- Azure or Azura
- Biru (Malay)
- Blau (German)
- Celeste (A shade of sky blue)
- Mavi (Turkish)
- Mazarine (A dark blue)
- Neela (Hindi)
- Nilo (Nepali)
- Peri (As in periwinkle)
- Plava (Croatian)
- Plavi (Serbian)
- Plavo (Bosnian)
- Teala (From teal)
For more unique dog names, check out our list here.
What Makes Your Dog Unique?
Unique dog names can be hard to find. Because every likes to be different, standing out can be a challenge.
One way to approach the task is to take a look at your dog.
Questions to Ask Yourself
Is it their color or size?
Do they have any interesting markings?
Is there something about their personality, or the way they act?
Do they respond well to certain actions or words?
All of these things can give clues as to what might be a good name for them!
Every dog is unique, just like every owner is unique in their preferences and style.
Blue Dog Names
The color blue is usually associated with calmness, cleanliness and stability. Blue is the color of the sea and the sky, which helps bring about a sense of tranquility. This is why a lot of people like the color blue. Even for pet owners, a blue dog is a unique choice. There are certain dog breeds with blue coats, such as the Blue Bay Shepherd, Italian Greyhound, Australian Cattle Dog and Thai Ridgeback, among others. However, this “blue coat” is more of a gray or silver shade as opposed to a striking blue color. In any case, these blue dogs are still impressive looking and are definite eye-turners.
Blue Dog Names in Pop Culture
Blue dogs are not as frequently featured as compared to their yellow, black or white-coated counterparts. However, there are a handful of pop culture references involving blue dogs. One of the most iconic portrayal of a blue dog in recent pop culture is in the children’s show Blue’s Clues, from Nickelodeon. The show, which first aired on September 8, 1996 is a live-action educational show and was hosted by Steve Burns.
In Blue’s Clues, Steve and his dog present a puzzle to the viewers of the show. Several hints are left behind by Blue, which she marks with her paw prints. Steve and the viewers go on a “scavenger hunt” in order to find these clues and solve the puzzle. Along the way, Steve presents a series of mini-games which are related to the main puzzle. He also goes through magical doorways, does the “Blue Skidoo” to warp into another place, and meets a bunch of other characters along the way. He also receives a mail, an action that warrants its own song called “Mailtime”. Towards the end of the show, when Steve and the audience have collected all three of Blue’s clues, they go back to the living room where Steve sits down on the “Thinking Chair”. While in the chair, Steve asks the audience’s help to try and piece together the clues and solve the puzzle. Most sequences of the show have their own songs, including the solving of the puzzle in the thinking chair and when Steve bids goodbye to the audience.
Blue’s Clues was a major win for Nickelodeon and became one of its most successful and longest-running shows. The producers of the show based the show’s format on the viewing habits of children and made sure that the audience would have major involvement in the show. The style of the show also resembled a storybook, which appealed to kids. Moreover, Blue’s Clues was among the first shows to have the American Sign Language integrated into its content. The show’s success garnered them several nominations and awards, including nine nominations from the Primetime Emmy Awards. The phenomenon also spawned a live action production in 1999 and a later spin-off, called Blue’s Room, in 2004. Blue’s Clues helped make Nickelodeon a renowned name in the animation network industry. Not only that, Blue became a household name and remains to be one of the most beloved and iconic canine characters in pop culture to date.
Blue Dog Name Considerations
One of the privileges of owning a new dog is coming up with a new name for them. One of the most straightforward ways to come up with a new name is to use the dog’s coat color as inspiration. Obviously, for blue dogs, a name that is reminiscent of their coat color is a good choice. Some good name ideas for a blue-coated dog include “Sky”, “Ash” or “Glacier”.
Of course, you may choose to look at the other attributes of your dog when brainstorming for a name. It may either be based on your dog’s build, size, markings, country of origin, personality and even unique quirks that your dog may have.
Another thing to consider is that dogs only usually remember the first one or two syllables of a word. Therefore, giving your dog a long name might not make sense in the long run, given that they would not be able to remember it. The best solution would be to choose a short name, with a maximum of two syllables. If you already have a longer name in mind that you really want to give to your dog, make sure that there is a shortened form that you can use as a nickname.
Grey Dog Names
Naming a dog is a big responsibility. After all - they are going to be a close companion for many happy years, so you want a name that you can live and love for that long. If you don't know where to start, think about your dog. What is this creature like that you have chosen to share your home - what is special about them? Are they going to be a large dog or a small dog? Are they active or quite mellow, do they bark or are they silent? Even the dog's color can act as a guide to choosing a name. Take a grey dog, for example you might call it Misty because of the silver grey color that mist often has. Or you might choose the name Phantom, for the cartoon hero who wore a grey suit. Ghost is another name that a grey dog could own quite easily.
What ever the name you finally choose, make sure you understand the meaning of the name. You don't want to find out after several happy months that your dog's name means something offensive. Foreign names are cool, but again, make sure you understand the meaning. We have compiled a list of possible names for the canine that is a steely or slate grey. Our research shows the meaning of the name and even its origin in some cases, so you know what the title means and perhaps can link the name directly to a characteristic seen in your new addition. This list takes the hard work out of the choosing of a name. All you do is sit down, curl up with your new dog or puppy, and go over our list. Before you know it, a name will leap from the page, and you will just know it is the right one.
Grey Dog Names in Pop Culture
Pudsey was an amazing dog and was part of a British Dog Trick Act with his owner Ashleigh. He was a cross bred mix, being part Border Collie, Bichon Frise and Chinese Crested Powder Puff dog. With grey ears, back and tail and a soft greyish white coat, Pudsey was a very distinguished dog. Ashley got him for her eleventh birthday, and said she opened a box and there was the cutest puppy eyes looking into hers. The two bonded and Ashleigh trained Pudsey to act and dance with her. He was always keen to please her, so he would listen intently and then pick up new tricks really quickly. She decided to take him on the television show Britain's Got Talent, and they had less than a week to practice their routine. They went to the audition in Cardiff, and their routine was aired on the 7th of April, 2012. The judges were overwhelmed by the dancing pair, and they ended up winning the 2012 series of the show.
This achievement really opened doors for Ashleigh and Pudsey. They performed at a lot of events including the 84th Royal Variety Performance. From there on, life was hectic for the pair. From being co-presenters of the CBBC program 'Who Let the Dogs Out and About', to guest presenters in many other shows and events, this pair won many hearts and followers. Pudsey was a joy to watch he concentrated on Ashleigh and followed her prompts perfectly. Who couldn't love this fluffy, adorable well trained dog? There has been a Pudsey movie which was produced by Simon Cowell. There have been theater appearances in various roles. And they have made too many guest appearances to even try and name them all. There is even a book titled "Pudsey: My Autobiography".
They have fronted a PETA campaign since June 2010 that calls for a ban on cruelty to animals in circuses. Pudsey and Ashleigh then faced their greatest challenge - Pudsey was diagnosed with terminal blood cancer and on July 20th, 2012 the world lost a hugely talented dog and Ashleigh lost her dearest best friend. That is the thing with dogs, they don't live long enough! But as Ashleigh said through her tears, the years they had together were the best years of her life. Although Ashleigh does have another dog called Sully who would step into Pudsey's well worn paw pads, and who would fulfill future bookings and continue to work for their special causes, no dog could ever replace the incredible bond between her and Pudsey. He just seemed to know what Ashleigh was thinking he was tuned into her mind! This lovely dog leaves a long legacy of achievements, and continues to live in our hearts on YouTube, the movies, and in the pages of history.
Disney has its fair share of grey dog talent in Lady and the Tramp, Tramp of course is a down and out character who is grey. Scamp, one of the pups sired by Tramp, is just the grey image of his dad. Other Disney characters with this coat shade are Danny and Colonel from 101 Dalmatians.
Grey Dog Name Considerations
"What shall I call my dog?", is a lament often heard from new dog owners. They say they don't have any imagination and the stress of choosing a name is almost worse than having your teeth pulled! But there is no need for alarm the world won't stop if the name you choose doesn't hit the number one favorite spot on the list. You just need to choose a name that is simple to say, one that is short and easy for your dog to understand, and you have to like it. Why would you call your treasured companion a name that didn't resonate well with you? Having a list such as this one will help those that have problems in this department. We have compiled a range of names for both male and female dogs that takes all the hard work out of selecting a name for you. This list is designed for the grey dog, taking his or her appearance as the inspiration for the name. You want something that suits your dog's personality or appearance so that the name fits well. A small grey pup may suit the name Pepper, especially if he is energetic. Is your dog constantly on the go? How about Jet, referring to the jet that streams across the sky? Classy, as in classic grey or Rain, referring to the grey weather could be cute monikers for your original pup.